- Cost: $1500.00 for Members and Non-Members
- Course: Three days classroom and laboratory
- Class Size: 6
- Examination: Written and Performance
- Certification Course Schedule
- Re-Certification Course Schedule
- Meet the prerequisites below for taking the PG Asphalt Binder Laboratory Technician Certification Course.
- Have the PG Asphalt Binder Laboratory Technician Evaluation Form properly completed and signed by a NETTCP Certified PG Asphalt Binder Laboratory Technician.
- Select a class date and register online or forward Registration Form, completed PG Asphalt Binder Laboratory Technician Evaluation Form, and check to NETTCP to secure a position in an upcoming course and examination.
- Attend the PG Asphalt Binder Laboratory Technician Certification Course in its entirety.
- Successfully pass the written and performance examinations.
- Beginning in 2012 a candidate may request certification in the DSR only. The candidate must state this when their application is submitted and are required to pass Section 1 (General), Section 2 (Miscellaneous Tests), Section 3 (DSR) on the written exam and DSR performance exam. The candidate must still attend the entire course.
- High School Diploma, G.E.D. or prior approval from NETTCP
- Work Experience
- Work directly under a NETTCP Certified PG Asphalt Binder Laboratory Technician for a minimum of sixty (60) working days to demonstrate experience and proficiency in the test procedures (per Course Outline) and following the sixty (60) day minimum work experience period, the candidate must be signed off by a NETTCP Certified PG Asphalt Binder Laboratory Technician indicating that the required work experience has been successfully completed. The PG Asphalt Binder Laboratory Technician Registration and Evaluation Form must be filled out completely and submitted. Or
- A candidate with two (2) years verifiable relevant experience can be signed off by a NETTCP Certified PG Asphalt Binder Laboratory Technician once the candidate demonstrates proficiency and knowledge with the required test procedures (per Course Outline). A copy of the candidate’s resume must be submitted with a completed PG Asphalt Binder Laboratory Technician Registration and Evaluation Form.
|T 228||Specific Gravity Determination of Asphalt Binders by Pycnometer||YES||W|
|ASTM D 3665||Standard Practice for Random Sampling of Construction Materials||NO||W|
|T 40||Appropriate Method and Containers for Sampling PG Asphalt Binder||NO||W|
|Temperature Measurements in Asphalt Binder Testing||NO||W|
|T 240||Effect of Heat and Air on a Moving Film of Asphalt (Rolling Thin Film Oven Test)||YES||W|
|R 28||Accelerated Aging of Asphalt Binder Using a Pressurized Aging Vessel (PAV)||YES||W|
|T 316||Viscosity Determination of Asphalt Binder Using Rotational Viscometer||YES||W|
|Determining the Rheological Properties of Asphalt Binder Using a Dynamic Shear Rheometer (DSR)||YES||W,P|
|T 313||Flexural Creep Stiffness of Asphalt Binder Using the Bending Beam Rheometer (BBR)||YES||W,P|
|M 320||Standard Specification for Performance Graded Asphalt Binder||YES||W|
|Flash and Fire Points by Cleveland Open Cup||NO||W|
|R 29||Standard Practice for Grading or Verifying the Performance Grade of an Asphalt Binder||YES||W|
|T 314||Determining the Fracture Properties of Asphalt Binder in Direct Tension (DT)||YES||W,P (optional)|
- Written Examination For New Certification and Re-certification
- Open book examination
- The exam is divided into four sections
- General Information (24 points)
- Miscellaneous Tests (16 points)
- Dynamic Shear Rheometer (10 points)
- Bending Beam Rheometer (10 points)
- Written examination must be completed within two (2) hours.
- Optional - The written examination for the Direct Tension test will consist of ten questions (10 points).
- Performance Examination for New Certification and Re-Certification
- Each candidate must perform the following test procedures within the time limits shown:
- Conduct a test with the Dynamic Shear Rheometer (40 min. max.)
- Conduct a test with the Bending Beam Rheometer (45 min. max.)
- Optional - Prepare a sample test with the Direct Tension apparatus (45 min. max.)
- An examiner will utilize a score sheet that will document the candidate’s performance on the various steps within a test procedure.
- Passing Grades for New Certification and Re-certification
- Certification or re-certification will be granted to a candidate who achieves the following:
- Written Examination - a minimum grade of 70% must be achieved for each of the four sections in the examination with an overall minimum grade of 80% for the entire examination. A minimum grade of 80% must be achieved for the Direct Tension exam.
- Performance Examination - a minimum grade of 85% for each test procedure
- Re-examination Policies
- A person failing the written examination but passing the performance examination will be required to retake the written examination only. Only one (1) re-examination will be allowed.
- A person failing one (1) performance test and passing the written examination will be required to retake that one (1) performance test only. Only one (1) re-examination is allowed.
- A person who fails any of the performance tests and fails the written examination will be required to retake the entire certification course and examinations at full cost.
- The cost of a re-examination for the written is $100.00 if taken at a scheduled course or $250.00 if taken at a date and location outside of the NETTCP schedule.
- Re-examinations must be completed within six (6) months of the candidate’s initial examination date.
Re-CertificationRequired course and examination for continued certification as a PG Asphalt Binder Laboratory Technician. The course will include a review of important topics and instruction on changes in the industry, equipment, specifications and test procedures.
- Cost: $1000.00 for Members and Non-Members
- Course: Two days classroom and laboratory
- Class Size: 6
- Examination: Written and Performance
- NETTCP Certified PG Asphalt Binder Laboratory Technicians wanting to maintain their certification are required to attend a re-certification course in its entirety and successfully pass the written and performance examinations. Select a class date and register online or forward the Registration Form and check to NETTCP.