Soils & Aggregate Lab Technician
- Cost: Visit our Website www.nettcp.com
- Course: Four days classroom and laboratory
- Class Size: 10 - 20
- Examination: Written and Performance
- Certification Course Schedule
- Re-Certification Course Schedule
- Meet the prerequisites below for taking the Soils & Aggregate Laboratory Technician Certification Course.
- Select a course and register online.
- Attend the Soils & Aggregate Laboratory Technician Certification Course in its entirety.
- Successfully pass the written and performance examinations.
- High School Diploma, G.E.D. or prior approval from NETTCP
- It is strongly recommended that the candidate have at least six (6) months experience working in a laboratory covering the topics that the candidate will be examined on at the course.
- The registration form must be signed by a NETTCP certified Soils & Aggregate Laboratory Technician or the candidate’s supervisor that indicates they are aware of the experience recommendations.
|T 2||Standard Practice for Sampling Aggregates||NO||W|
|T 11||Material Finer than 0.75 mm (#200) Sieve in Mineral Aggregates by Washing||YES||W,P*|
|T 21||Organic Impurities in Fine Aggregate for Concrete||NO||W|
|T 27||Sieve Analysis for Fine and Coarse Aggregate||YES||W,P*|
|T 84||Specific Gravity and Absorption of Fine Aggregates||YES||W|
|T 85||Specific Gravity and Absorption of Coarse Aggregates||YES||W|
|T 88||Particle Size Analysis of Soils||NO||W|
|Determining the Liquid Limit of Soils||NO||W|
|T 90||Determining the Plastic Limit and Plasticity Index of Soils||NO||W|
|T 96||Resistance to Degradation of Small-Size Coarse Aggregate by Abrasion and Impact in the Los Angeles Machine||NO||W|
|Moisture Density Relation of Soils||YES||W,P*|
|T 104||Soundness of Aggregates by Use of Sodium Sulfate or Magnesium Sulfate||NO||W|
|T 176||Plastic Fines in Graded Aggregates and Soils by Use of the Sand Equivalent Test||NO||W|
|T 224||Correction for Coarse Particles in the Soil Compaction Test||NO||W|
|T 248||Reducing Field Samples of Aggregates to Testing Size||YES||W,P*|
|T 255||Total Evaporable Moisture Content of Aggregate by Drying||YES||W|
|T 304||Uncompacted Void Content of Fine Aggregate||NO||W|
|T 311||Grain-Size Analysis of Granular Soil Materials||NO||W|
|ASTM D 2488||Identification of Soils by Visual Procedure||NO||W,P*|
|ASTM D 3665||Random Sampling||NO||W|
|ASTM D 4791||Test Method for Flat Particles, Elongated Particles or Flat and Elongated Particles in Coarse Aggregate||NO||W|
|ASTM D 5821||Test Method for Determining the Percentage of Fractured Particles in Coarse Aggregate||NO||W|
- Written Examination For New Certification and Re-certification
- Closed book examination (Approximately 90 questions)
- Multiple Choice
- True or False
- Calculations (Sieve Analysis, Specific Gravity of Coarse Aggregate, Moisture Content, etc...)
- Written examination must be completed within one hundred and twenty (120) minutes.
- Performance Examination for New Certification and Re-Certification
- Each candidate must perform the following test procedures within the time limits shown:
- Reducing Sample of Aggregates to Testing Size, 5 min. (AASHTO T 248)
- Sieve Analysis of Fine and Coarse Aggregates, 15 min. (AASHTO T 27)
- Moisture Density Relation of Soils, 20 min. (AASHTO T 99)
- An examiner will utilize a score sheet that will document the candidate’s performance on the various steps within a test procedure.
- Passing Grades for New Certification and Re-certification
- Certification or re-certification will be granted to a candidate who achieves the following:
- Written Examination - a minimum grade of 70%
- Performance Examination - a minimum grade of 90% for each test procedure
- Re-examination Policies
- A person failing the written examination but passing the performance examination will be required to retake the written examination only. Only one (1) re-examination will be allowed.
- A person failing one (1) performance test and passing the written examination will be required to retake that one (1) performance test only. Only one (1) re-examination is allowed.
- A person failing more than one (1) performance test and passing the written examination will be required to retake the entire performance examination. Only one (1) re-examination is allowed.
- A person failing one (1) or more of the performance tests and failing the written examination will be required to retake the entire certification course and examinations at full cost.
- The cost of a re-examination is $100.00 and re-examinations must be completed within six (6) months of the candidate’s initial examination date.
NETTCP does not offer Re-Certification courses for this Soils & Aggregate Lab Technician. Please register for a new certification course to maintain your Soil & Aggregate Lab Technician certification.