Soils & Aggregate Lab Technician
The Soils and Aggregate Laboratory Technician Certification Course is designed for those individuals responsible for the laboratory testing of soils and aggregates. Suggested participants would include contractor and supplier laboratory personnel, consultants, testing firms and agency laboratory technicians responsible for the testing of soils and aggregates.
- Cost: Visit our Website www.nettcp.com
- Course: Four days classroom and laboratory
- Class Size: 10 - 20
- Examination: Written and Performance
- Certification Course Schedule
- Re-Certification Course Schedule
- Meet the prerequisites below for taking the Soils & Aggregate Laboratory Technician Certification Course.
- Select a course and register online.
- Attend the Soils & Aggregate Laboratory Technician Certification Course in its entirety.
- Successfully pass the written and performance examinations.
- High School Diploma, G.E.D. or prior approval from NETTCP
- It is strongly recommended that the candidate have at least six (6) months experience working in a laboratory covering the topics that the candidate will be examined on at the course.
- The registration form must be signed by a NETTCP certified Soils & Aggregate Laboratory Technician or the candidate’s supervisor that indicates they are aware of the experience recommendations.
|T 2||Standard Practice for Sampling Aggregates||NO||W|
|T 11||Material Finer than 0.75 mm (#200) Sieve in Mineral Aggregates by Washing||YES||W,P*|
|T 21||Organic Impurities in Fine Aggregate for Concrete||NO||W|
|T 27||Sieve Analysis for Fine and Coarse Aggregate||YES||W,P*|
|T 84||Specific Gravity and Absorption of Fine Aggregates||YES||W|
|T 85||Specific Gravity and Absorption of Coarse Aggregates||YES||W|
|T 88||Particle Size Analysis of Soils||NO||W|
|Determining the Liquid Limit of Soils||NO||W|
|T 90||Determining the Plastic Limit and Plasticity Index of Soils||NO||W|
|T 96||Resistance to Degradation of Small-Size Coarse Aggregate by Abrasion and Impact in the Los Angeles Machine||NO||W|
|Moisture Density Relation of Soils||YES||W,P*|
|T 104||Soundness of Aggregates by Use of Sodium Sulfate or Magnesium Sulfate||NO||W|
|T 176||Plastic Fines in Graded Aggregates and Soils by Use of the Sand Equivalent Test||NO||W|
|T 224||Correction for Coarse Particles in the Soil Compaction Test||NO||W|
|T 248||Reducing Field Samples of Aggregates to Testing Size||YES||W,P*|
|T 255||Total Evaporable Moisture Content of Aggregate by Drying||YES||W|
|T 304||Uncompacted Void Content of Fine Aggregate||NO||W|
|T 311||Grain-Size Analysis of Granular Soil Materials||NO||W|
|ASTM D 2488||Identification of Soils by Visual Procedure||NO||W,P*|
|ASTM D 3665||Random Sampling||NO||W|
|ASTM D 4791||Test Method for Flat Particles, Elongated Particles or Flat and Elongated Particles in Coarse Aggregate||NO||W|
|ASTM D 5821||Test Method for Determining the Percentage of Fractured Particles in Coarse Aggregate||NO||W|
- Written Examination For New Certification and Re-certification
- Closed book examination (Approximately 90 questions)
- Multiple Choice
- True or False
- Calculations (Sieve Analysis, Specific Gravity of Coarse Aggregate, Moisture Content, etc...)
- Written examination must be completed within one hundred and twenty (120) minutes.
- Performance Examination for New Certification and Re-Certification
- Each candidate must perform the following test procedures within the time limits shown:
- Reducing Sample of Aggregates to Testing Size, 5 min. (AASHTO T 248)
- Sieve Analysis of Fine and Coarse Aggregates, 15 min. (AASHTO T 27)
- Moisture Density Relation of Soils, 20 min. (AASHTO T 99)
- An examiner will utilize a score sheet that will document the candidate’s performance on the various steps within a test procedure.
- Passing Grades for New Certification and Re-certification
- Certification or re-certification will be granted to a candidate who achieves the following:
- Written Examination - a minimum grade of 70%
- Performance Examination - a minimum grade of 90% for each test procedure
- Re-examination Policies
- A person failing the written examination but passing the performance examination will be required to retake the written examination only. Only one (1) re-examination will be allowed.
- A person failing one (1) performance test and passing the written examination will be required to retake that one (1) performance test only. Only one (1) re-examination is allowed.
- A person failing more than one (1) performance test and passing the written examination will be required to retake the entire performance examination. Only one (1) re-examination is allowed.
- A person failing one (1) or more of the performance tests and failing the written examination will be required to retake the entire certification course and examinations at full cost.
- The cost of a re-examination is $100.00 and re-examinations must be completed within six (6) months of the candidate’s initial examination date.
NETTCP does not offer Re-Certification courses for this Soils & Aggregate Lab Technician. Please register for a new certification course to maintain your Soil & Aggregate Lab Technician certification.